Cassel Berry Florida History
On May 30, 2012, I had the good fortune to speak with Mr. John B. Casselberry, a member of the Florida Historical Society and resident of Casselsberry, at the Museum of Seminole County History. In 2010, the U.S. Census counted just over 2,000 Florida residents living in the city, and the area has just under 26,000 residents. It is the second largest city in Florida with a population of more than 1.5 million people and is home to the University of Central Florida, Florida State University and Florida Atlantic University, among others.
In 1957, Casselberry signed a contract with the Post Office at his own expense, which was granted to the city for the ten years in which Hibbard Casselsberry lived in the city. There are also many apartments in Caselsberry built between 1940 and 1969, and some of these houses were offered for rent - free of charge and known in the community as "Barnett's Caselberry Quarters." In 1957, he signed a contract for a post office at his own expense, but in 1958, after living in his house for ten years, the post office granted him the post office for $5,000.
Casselberry continued to develop and expand his real estate business in the 1930s, while Barnett was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 1937. Hibbard selected a list of candidates for the U.S. Senate seat in Florida's 1st Congressional District in 1940. Casselsberry continued to develop and expand its Fernery & Real Estate business in Caselsberry, Florida, in the 1940s and 1950s, after Barnett was elected to the Texas House and Senate in 1936 and 1937, respectively, and continued to expand its Fernery & Real Estate business during and after the 1980s. In 1937, Barnett was elected to the Florida House of Representatives.
When Barnett introduced a bill to include the Town of Fern Park, the bill passed the House of Representatives and passed the Senate before being submitted by residents of Fern Park, but had to be withdrawn. In 1937, Barnett was elected to the Florida Senate and then to the Florida State University House of Representatives, which allowed him to begin the process of drafting bills that would have involved the "city" of Fernandez Park. When he introduced another bill that included a "city" or "fern park," he passed the House, then moved to the senators and passed so that FernPark residents could petition for it, and was then withdrawn by Barnett.
On 10 October 1940, a town council was held at which the tax-free town of Casselberry was officially incorporated, which included parts of Barnett's Farnpark estate. On 11 October 1941, another town assembly was held, at which the town was officially incorporated as the "Free City" of the Casselsberry, including part of its fern park. On 10 October 1939 a town assembly was held and on 1 November 1943, also on the same day they were officially incorporated.
Under this name a post office was founded in 1928 and the area became known as the fern park. A post office was established in 1929 and 1931 under the name "Farnpark," but it was not established until 1943 after the death of the city's first mayor, John C. Barnett. Under this name a post office was founded in 1929, and in the first year of its existence in 1934 the area became known as Ferr's Park.
The area continued to grow and in 1940 the tax-free town of Casselberry was founded, and in 1957 the town finally received a post office. Although it was an unincorporated area, there were no city boundaries in the town of Casselberries, Florida, in 1946. The city was incorporated only in 1965, when citizens finally voted for the introduction of property taxes. Residents had to incorporate their own tax-free city to avoid property taxes, but they could circumvent them by integrating as if they were owners.
This led to the creation of land that allowed individual owners to buy small plots of land and use the Fernery as their own private property rather than as the property of the city.
At the time, Casselberry also bought a local racecourse and hotel, which became one of Seminole County's top attractions. Seminoles Drive - Park was built in 1925 or so, but back then there were thoroughbred races and all these different things. Soon after he moved in with his wife, Mr. Casselsberry acquired it and it was the site of Florida State Park, the state's first horse racing track.
Although the Homestead Act was introduced in 1862, homesteading did not take place until after the Civil War. The settlers began housework in Florida in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, after it was adopted in 1861, but not until 1862.
Barnett then began west of Lake Concord with a housing development called Fern Park Estates, which consisted of small individual lots, including a Fernery, and began construction for individual owners. Barnett then began a housing development in the same area, a small plot of land consisting of three houses, one for each of the two ferries and the other for the ferry people.